Monday, September 27, 2010

Voices

I have a lot of stuff, the same things in many colors. When I go shopping I usually buy 2 colors of the same shoes, blouse, etc. because I can’t choose only a single color.



Basically, I’m not wishy-washy. I am a kind of determined person when I make a decision. As many of my friends say to me, “It is a waste that you are a woman, because you make a decision and take action very quickly even if you are in a tough situation. You are sometimes manlier than real men.” Yet, only when I go shopping I lose my determination. Especially when I come across something to my liking, I can’t choose only one. A part of my manfulness comes out and tries making a decision quickly, but as a result, I buy the same things in different colors.

When I was young my mother always said to me — “You’re kind of a shopaholic. You can’t stop buying something, even though you already have a lot of things that look almost the same.” I always said to her, “What? Are you kidding me? They are completely different! How could you say that without REALLY looking at them?” Now, a little older and a little wiser, I can understand why she always said those things to me. From my mom and my friends’ point of view it seemed like I always picked up similar products.

Sometimes, it is really difficult to understand other’s likes and tastes and find subtle differences in them. Well… honestly, it’s still said to me, “Oh, you bought a similar one again? You really like that kind of style,” but not as often as before.

Do you know the movie, “Confessions of a Shopaholic”? Did you watch it?






Even if I can understand the girl’s feelings a little bit, who is the main character of the movie, it doesn’t mean that I’m similar to her. I don’t buy anything that I can’t afford, and I never borrow money to buy anything. I don’t insist on buying brand names, but I stick to certain materials and construction. I only buy something that I like. I’ve never had a kind of experience that mannequins speak to me like a scene from the movie, but I can hear the voices from the products. They make an appeal — “Hey, come and look at me. I’ve waited for nobody but you. Pick me up! Listen, this is a fateful encounter, so please take me your place with you!” They talk like a pickup artist, or a girl who is good at flattery. After I hear their voices, I feel like I am an adopter; if I don’t take them in, will they spend a long time on that shelf?

Just to be clear, I’m sane. More so than other people, I think I have a kind of sensitivity to understanding others’ feelings or situations, whether they are human or not. This time, I happen to be talking about something that I fell in love with at first sight. So, when I come across something in different colors, it is hard to pick only one of them, because I feel guilty that I make them get separated by buying only a single color. Of course, I can’t take care of all of them, so I tearfully choose only products which I can get on well with.

Eventually, a lot of twins, triplets or quintuplets end up in my house. If I couldn’t hear their voices, if I were a cold-blooded shopper… I would live with lots of only children.

To end with, let’s me introduce you to some of my new residents.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment