Thursday, October 28, 2010

Effects of an extremely hot summer





Japan experienced record high temperatures in this summer.
Also summerlike high temperatures continued till the end of September.
Finally, it's getting colder and we can feel the coming of autumn lately.







During the summer, we had many effects of horribly hot weather, such as the increased number of people with heat stroke or the increase in beer sales. There are still many effects of the extremely hot summer now: poor rice crops, poor sales of autumn clothes, escalating vegetable prices, a delayed the mosquito biting season or the many bear sightings and attacks in Japanese cities.





Those effects of the unusual weather have led to uncomfortable situations. Fortunately, I haven’t suffered a serious effect, such as having a heat stroke or a bear attacks, but I’m a serious victim of mosquito attacks.

At the end of August, I watched a news report about mosquitoes. According to that news, this past summer mosquitoes became less active than ever, because of the violent heat and dry weather. And it said that, if the hot weather with the temperature reaching over 30 degrees Celsius (80 degrees Fahrenheit) continued, they would probably die. It also said that, from the end of September with the weather getting colder, they would become active like they usually do in the summer — this fall seems to be the “itchiest” autumn ever.





And in keeping with the news, I have been bitten 8 times by mosquitos since October began. And, the mosquito bites are happening in pairs — one on each arm, one on each wrist, one on each ankle and so on. Worse still, my skin got red and hard, which made the bumps looke like there were small red mountains on my body. It looked like a good example for teaching line symmetry for children.





Since about 10 years ago, it has been said that the weather has been really strange. I’ve been hearing the abnormal weather news every summer and winter, for a long time. So, I actually don’t remember what normal weather is. I only remember that in Japan, the summer was hot and the winter was cold.

When I was child, the Japanese climate was characterized by four distinct seasons and I enjoyed seasonal events and eating seasonal foods in each one. I used to go to beaches or pools, eat a lot of watermelons and set off fireworks during the summer. During the winter, when we had snow, I made snowmen and had snowball fights with my big brother or friends. I ate lots of Mikan (mandarin oranges) and compared the color of my palms with my classmates.





Now the strange weather issue is not only a Japanese problem. Hot spells, cold spells, heavy rains and dry weather: they happen all over the world. Basically, I don’t like abnormally hot or cold weather. I like spring or autumn when the climate is mild and comfortable. But if I think about recent weather problems, I would prefer having seasonable temperatures such as hot summers and cold winters to losing our four distinct seasons. I want to enjoy each season like before, because I was born and raised in Japan, where the weather has four beautiful and distinct seasons.

According to the forecast, in Japan, it will be cold as usual from tomorrow. Also, we will get a colder-than-usual winter. I’m not sure that I can enjoy cold winter from the bottom of my heart, but I’m really happy that my mosquito issue will be gone. Good-bye, out-of-season mosquitoes!









2 comments:

  1. Haha! Line symmetry!

    30 Celsius sounds so wonderful to me! Just last week as I was heading back from school at noon, the temperature had reached 45 Celsius - and that's normal here! :'(. You can see how green in envy I am from three continents away. Honestly, our weather is such that our summers burn the skin off us, our springs are short and often times dusty, are winters are cold and sometimes rainy, and our autumn humid, we often bathe in our sweat to conserve water! (Kidding!)

    Oh, I loathe mosquitoes. My sister shares a room with me, and at least thrice during the winter she wakes up with a swollen eye from the ravenous nuisances. I have thankfully evaded them - or, at least my face has :'(. I feel so sorry for you, to be such a mosquito magnet. I've heard that O blood types attract mosquitoes more than the other types, so perhaps that's the cause of your tragedy? And also that mosquitoes like to attack people who have recently drunk beer!

    I have seen that your blog posts lack comments, and it shocked me! Your blog posts are wonderful and eloquent, and your personality shines through them! And your English is so much more beautiful than the average English/American/Australian person! I feel angry - a person as talented and kind as you deserves more attention!

    Your posts are precious sources of knowledge about a mysterious culture - and from the fingers of the native herself! I actually found your blog through a link a writer had posted. She had used your website for research for her writing, as her story's setting was in Japan. I can't really link it, because the content is really obscene and I felt it was disturbing, but if you'd like, I will.

    So now I shall be reading more of your posts - they're addicting! Keep up the good work, miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Aesha san,
      Thank you for your comment.
      I’m really happy to hear that you enjoy my blog.
      Your comment makes me think I’m a good writer, and motivates me to write again.
      I could receive a wonderful voice from outside Japan with my blog, it’s awesome!

      Delete